These are some seriously delicious "burgers". They are a great option for your meatless Monday meals. They are filling and flavorful with have a meaty heft to them. My husband must have said "umm!" about 6 times when he was scarfing one down. A pretty good compliment if you ask me.
2 15-oz cans black beans, rinsed
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 green onions, minced (1/4 cup)
3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon hot sauce (or to your liking)
1 large handful tortilla chips or other salty chip or cracker, crushed coarsely about 1/2 cup
3 tablespoons oil for frying
burger buns (optional)
other optional toppings. Be creative. cheese, avocado, tomatoes, sriracha mayo.
Make your Burgers
1. Line rimmed baking sheet with a triple layer of paper towels and spread black beans over towels. Let stand for 15 minutes.
2. Whisk eggs and flour together in large bowl until uniform paste forms. Stir in green onions, cilantro, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, and hot sauce, if using, until well combined.
3. Process tortilla chips in food processor until finely ground, about 30 seconds. Add black beans and pulse until beans are roughly broken down, about 5 pulses. Transfer black bean mixture to bowl with egg mixture and mix until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
4. Divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions. Firmly pack each portion into a tight ball, then flatten into a 1-inch thick patty.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Carefully lay 2 of the patties in the skillet and cook until bottoms are well-browned and crisp about 5 minutes. Flip patties, add the additional tablespoon of oil if needed and cook second sides until well-browned and crisp, 3-5 minutes. If adding cheese, cover skillet with a lid to help the cheese melt. Build your burgers with all your creative toppings